Eight seconds to make it count: life as bull rider

Eight seconds determine whether you are scored in your match. Eight seconds of being whipped back and forth on a bucking bull before that effort to not let go is counted. Eight seconds that Senior Spencer Ford counts in his head like a mantra every time he gets on a bull at a rodeo. 

Bull riding is considered to be one of the most dangerous sports, however Ford sees that as all the more reason to participate. Having only been riding for three years, he does not have as much experience as others. Despite this, Ford has been practicing and training as if he has been riding his whole life. Having been immersed in the world of ‘cowboys and farms’ Ford has been a part of bull riding long before he started counting down those eight seconds. 

Inspiration for picking up bull riding began with his family, “My dad was a high school and college rodeo kid for bull riding, and my grandfather also did bronc riding and cutting horses”, he said. Ford not only grew up around the rodeo world, he had a legacy inspiring him to continue his family tradition. 

When it comes to training, Ford explains how it starts with a little bit at a time, “It’s a lot of keeping balance, working on balance… eventually hopping on a bull or two, waiting a few days and then eventually hopping on another two”, Ford makes it sound easy in regards to training, though it is anything but. “You can always get hurt…seriously” Ford points out. Despite how short his time on the bull is, every second of it is putting his safety on the line. 

The entire point of bull riding is to be on the bull as long as possible, and technique for riding only comes with experience. Ford notes how when it comes to technique, footwork is his biggest weakness. In order to stay on the bull you want your feet to be in a certain place to lessen your chances of being thrown off too soon. “Bulls throw your feet out like it’s nothing,” Ford jokes, “Your feet can get too low or too high and then you’re just going to fall off…I need to work on [that]”. 

Not only are there kids who participate in bull riding, there are also those who do bareback riding, steer wrestling, saddle bronc riding, and a number of other events in rodeos. Each event coming with their own set of rules. With this, Ford enjoys “being in it with all the rodeo kids, all the places you go [with them], and the [additional] people you meet…it’s just a fun time”.