Birdie or ball: differences between badminton and tennis

Emily Buttyan
During the badminton match against Mountain View high school on Aug. 24 junior Ellie Martin and her opponent are together laughing in between their respective matches. The entire match between the schools resulted in a 7-2 win.

Badminton and tennis are considered the same sport by the vast majority. Despite the fact that they are both played on the same court, they could not be more different. Be it playing style or amount of time spent on the court, they are called different names for a reason. 

Looking at the different games, badminton and tennis have different playing styles despite how similar they appear. Badminton is played with a racket and a piece of plastic called a birdie. The birdie has little ‘feathers’ that are usually plastic all glued into a rubber cork. Though the birdie moves fast it has much less weight than a tennis ball, making the badminton player’s swing less calculated than a tennis player. Badminton rackets are lighter for quicker swings with a longer stick to hit the birdie higher. Tennis rackets are heavier as well as thicker, and are played with a bouncy felt ball. 

Point wise, badminton has an easier system to follow. They both are best out of three matches however badminton is out of 21 points on the basis of love 1’ 2’ 3’ while tennis is love 15’ 30’ 40’ and game, with the first player to lead with two or more points. Both sports are best out of three games, however. 

Playing style, both sports switch serves as is usual. However, tennis switches serving every odd-numbered game, as players have two tries to get a satisfactory serve. In badminton, serving is a little different. The team with the winning even point serves on the right and it switches to the left when they have the winning odd point. Both teams serve only when they have won the last point.
When on the court, matches are set up the same. With games being played in singles (one v one) or doubles (two v two.) The serves go back and forth between the opponents and when playing with doubles the server switches between the two teammates. 

Neither sport can be deemed ‘easier’ physically. Badminton consists of many leaps and jumps much like volleyball, while tennis consists of more running and abrupt starts and stops. Athletes in both sports are still getting exercise out of their matches.