Cross country athlete feature + season catch-up

Junior runner Emma Howard makes a name for herself on the girls XC team as the season continues

Karson Hentges, Staff Reporter

Determination, persistence, dedication, and passion; the hunger for success and the desire to excel are held simply in the hands of these four strings of letters held together. As a cross country runner and exemplary student alike, one must not only show, but live and breathe the ideals held in these words. For junior Emma Howard, who is one of the team’s most passionate runners, these acts of success come easy.

With their sophomore athletes winning first place at their Chandler Invitational out of forty-eight teams competing and 8 medals having been awarded, the spirits and ambitions of the girls team could not be higher, especially for team captain Howard.

Howard states that being one of the girl’s team captains is, “a lot of fun. We have a very strong girls team this year. It’s great being able to run with such strong teammates.”

Leading the pack this year is PHS history teacher and athlete Jeff Gurecki. As the new girls head coach, Gurecki commented that, “I am very proud of the girl’s cross country team this year. I want a city championship and a top 5 placing at state within the next 2 years.”

Clara Wallengren, a junior who is also a runner on the girl’s team this year complimented Howard, saying, “I’ve known Emma since freshman year, and not only is she a great friend, but she’s a really good leader for our girl’s team.”

If it wasn’t obvious enough, being a cross country runner is very hard and demanding work. But, despite a pre-season injury and the intense, painstaking effort put in to be the best she can be, Howard still manages to excel as not only an athlete, but also a student. Holding all A’s so far this year, Howard strives to push herself to accomplish a balanced life of success on and off the track.

“Cross country is about how physically and mentally strong you can be,” Howard added, “so when I improve one of my times by pushing myself out of my comfort zone, it’s an exhilarating feeling.”

Emphasizing the inspiring passion held in this year’s girls team, Coach Gurecki proudly commented that, “One of the girls said today, ‘Everyday last year seems like an easy day compared to last year. We have a great young team this year, and if they continue to work hard, great things will come.”

You can support the girl’s cross country team at their next meet which takes place on Sept. 23 at Red Mountain.