Service or self-serving


Students volunteer to get service hours for college. But do those hours morally count if you are doing it for alternative reasons.

Getting into college is no easy task. Students must have good grades, extra curricular activities, letters of recommendation, and service hours to impress college admissions. But when volunteering is done, does it count morally if you are just doing it for college? 

“While the intention behind it might not be genuine, the overall outcome is that an individual or group is being supported through the effort of others, which is more beneficial rather than harmful. It’s a win-win situation,” said senior Hanson Nguyen. 

“Doing something for your benefit is considered selfish, but at least you’re doing something unlike some people that sit on their butt all day,” said freshman Michael Burns. 

“I think any volunteering is both beneficial to the person volunteering and for the charity or service they are volunteering for. While it does provide service hours for college, it is still a positive service”said junior Casey Hunt. 

“It’s true that it benefits me, but that doesn’t mean it’s not benefiting our community. Students may be doing it for college, but they are still helping so many people in the process,” said sophomore Maeli Rush. 

47 students filled out a poll showing that  83% of those students believe that even though you are volunteering for college it is still helpful to the community. But the other 17% of students disagree from a moral standpoint. 

“Giving an incentive to volunteer is great, and obviously the hours should count towards college, but morally I would not count them if I’m only doing them for a club or college application,” said junior Maddie Woods. 

“You aren’t really doing it for the community, but instead yourself,” said senior Minyoung Park. 

Despite a few people disagreeing, most students agree with some even saying despite the ulterior motives morally it still has an effect. 

“It may be for your own benefit, but it’s important that kids our age actually have these experiences with helping others. We can’t grow up into the world and not have a meaningful understanding of the impact we can make and the people we are always able to help” said  Senior Danielle Johnson. 

I think that it would benefit you in the long run because you would get outside experience and it gives you a preview of how jobs would look when you finally reach that stage of getting one,”  said senior Anusha Mutha.  

Despite many students’ volunteer work being done for college applications, the overall consensus is that no matter why you’re volunteering you’re still helping others, so the reasoning for volunteering does not matter.