Block days, restful or stressful?

Koen Martineau; Graphic by Julia Carvalho
Some students come back from breaks feeling rested, while others feel like they had no break at all. After talking to students, teachers, athletes, and professionals, we’ve found that everybody’s definition of rest is a little different.

Block days allow students a respite from the constant forward push of their everyday school schedule. Despite having half of the classes for twice as long, students have found ways to optimize this extra time and use it for their individual betterment.

Junior Bella Gardner points out the benefits of block days, saying, “I think [block days] are more restful because then you only have to do half your homework each day, and only have to worry about half of your classes.” This extra time allows students to have a break from the constant assignment of classwork and homework, and as Senior Kayli Adams believes,”[gives them] more time to get stuff done in class”

The rest provided to students by block days doesn’t only come in the form of time to get assignments done. Junior Josh Andreason says “I find block days more restful because I can take naps.” Students are able to spend their excess time not just catching up on work, but catching up on sleep. Not all students on campus are given this opportunity to rest, however, those like Andreason who do have the opportunity often take advantage of it.

Conference, a 30 minute period specific to block days, is another restful benefit of block days. Students can use the extra time to either visit clubs they participate in, or work on assignments that they are in need of finishing. Some of these clubs even provide time for the students to relax and recuperate before getting back into the swing of their everyday schedule

Block days aren’t all rest, however, some students’ schedules become packed when hard classes are crammed into one long day. Members of student government experience this on assembly and event days, as they have to spend the majority of that day working. Senior Nadia Shovkovy says that “I just find it stressful to make-up block work, because you always get more work on block days.” This extra load of work on block days can create a stressful environment at times. However, having the extra day to get work done eases that burden.

Despite the reservations on make-up work,  Senior Ali Jex says that having event days on block is “not that bad, I think it’s the same, just more fun.” Students on campus, whether or not they are involved in clubs or activities on block days, find ways to make the most of their time. By using the time to make up work, to catch up on rest, to throw events for the school, and/or to participate in clubs, students have found productive ways to create fun and restful opportunities on block days each week.