Theatre scales back for ‘Almost Maine’

August Bowers, Staff Reporter

Perry High School had the honor of putting on ‘Almost Maine’, a show filled with love that is lost and found. With Perry being famous for it’s huge stage productions, ‘Almost Maine’ was a show that is all about the relationships between the people; rather than the big sets and costumes.

From speech and debate coach, to film studies teacher, and now theatre director, ‘Almost Maine’ was the first play at Perry High School  that Randy Duren has directed. He has directed nearly 20 shows; being the theatre director at Higley High School for 2 years and Combs High School for 3 years.

Before the production, Duren shared an inside scoop on what to look forward to. “It’s a show full of little shows essentially. Little vignette stories that kind of overlap a little bit; that’s what ‘Almost Maine’ is,” shared Duren.

Junior Ryan Dunn was in the production of ‘Addams Family’ and had the opportunity to play a lead role in ‘Almost Maine’. Dunn shared his before thoughts of the show saying, “I am very excited. I think it will be very successful; I’m really anxious to do it [and] excited to put it together. I think people will really like it.”

Senior Alli Messersmith was in her 9th main stage performance after her star performance in ‘Almost Maine’. She has been in every main stage show since her freshman year. After working with Duren for the first time, Messersmith shares her experiences, “It’s a blast; I feel like he is more of a teenager than some of us are. He’s really relaxed and you trust what he says. You know the show is going to be great because he has all of this experience. He can talk to you on such a level that it just clicks.”

Duren had high expectations for this production of ‘Almost Maine’, stating,  “It [will] be the best thing that I have ever directed.”

Dunn discloses his confidence on how the show will go, “I am very excited. I think it will be very successful; I’m really anxious to do it, excited to put it together. I think people will really like it.”