Best after school restaurants

Sameer Kabir
(Top Left) Three Chillers and a pastry from Black Rock feed students after a school day; (Top Right) A warm pastry from Bosa Donuts is enjoyed after school by students as well. (Bottom Left) Two Subway sandwiches are enjoyed by two students after school, and Bottom Right) a teriyaki chicken bowl and chicken tenders is enjoyed by several students after school.

After a long day at school, seniors who leave school early and athletes after practice are often hungry. To satisfy this hunger, a large number of students head  to a nearby place to eat. A few common after school food spots this year are McDonald’s, Jack in the Box, Subway, Black Rock, and Bosa Donuts. With a variety of meals, it can be difficult to choose where to go.

The new McDonald’s located right across from Perry, is sure to attract after school buzz. McDonald’s is the closest restaurant on this list and is a comfortable walk from campus, though driving is also an option as the McDonald’s contains a spacious parking lot. The food is relatively affordable given the large serving sizes, but there are cheaper alternatives. The restaurant is the largest, area-wise, out of the other establishments discussed. The food tastes like generic American fast food, which is expected from a McDonald’s. This new McDonald’s biggest benefit is its convenience as it is a suitable venue for several occasions. Whether space is needed for a large group or only a quick snack is desired, McDonald’s is a sufficient location.

Jack in the Box is another popular spot with a large selection of items. An often underlooked item at this location is their chicken teriyaki bowl. This dish comes out steaming hot and looks fantastic. The grilled chicken is cooked well along with the rice and various vegetables. The meals at this venue are especially cheap, as the teriyaki bowl can be bought for less than eight dollars. Of course, the option of tenders or a chicken sandwich is a reliable choice, but these meals could also be acquired at McDonald’s which is at a closer proximity to campus.

For a healthier option, Subway is another solid after school option. Subway offers a variety of breads, meats, cheeses, and vegetables to offer a personal and unique experience for its customers. The biggest downside to Subway is the distance from school. In the current climate, the walk to Subway is harsh, and it would be much safer to choose to drive to the restaurant. Though Subway is a little distant, it is reliable and a good refreshing after school option.

Black Rock offers a solid variety of energy drinks, coffee, and deserts. The cafe provides a generous 50% student discount every Tuesday on large flavored fuels and medium chillers. Though the drinks can be bland and repetitive, with the student discount one could get a good amount of caffeine for only three dollars. Black Rock has the additional benefit of being across the street from campus, making it a convenient after school energizer.

Finally, if you are just looking for dessert, a great location is Bosa Donuts. Though Bosa is the furthest from school compared to the previously mentioned sites, the distance is easily worth it due to the large selection of sweet donuts. A single donut is less than two dollars, meaning that students can afford to return to the donut shop often. Bosa opens at five in the morning, so it is also a good before school snack. 

At the end of the day, the venue you choose to attend after school is based on several factors. Whether you have money to spend, or just want a quick bite, the area around campus offers many versatile experiences.