Filed under Opinions

What is the Point of School Announcements if No One is Listening?

School Announcements are the same old thing. Boring, slow, and entertaining deficient. Read article for full opinion

Alex Thomas

Alex Thomas

Every school day it’s the same format. First bell rings, minute bell follows, final bell concludes, then of course the morning announcements.

The school provides students with news to keep them informed and up to date with school activities and events. Although the purpose of morning announcements seems simple, the majority of students neglect the information and instead focus on their Twitter feed.

When the principal starts reading off the information, students simultaneously whip out their phones and immediately start texting, SnapChatting, and Tweeting. Which doesn’t come as a surprise because the problem is announcements are boring and bland.

Senior Travis Extine, said most people don’t listen to the morning news because people would rather talk than listen to it. When asked what the school could do to make announcements more engaging, he said, “I think that videos could work but they would need to be at least a little entertaining.”

For school announcements to actually be heard and gain a audience, the school must switch to film or at least make the reader of the news a student.

When senior Espy Garcia was asked if videos would be a good substitute for intercom announcements, it was a resounding yes. “Yes, because then the students will pay more attention and with the lights off in the classroom, it’ll help there be less distractions, she said

We should all listen to the morning announcements. It is vital to be informed about school activities and news so it can help us plan for events or watch out for things in the future. The problem is it’s just difficult to take the information seriously when they are so long so slow, so boring. There is simply no excitement.

School announcements must change. Whether it is videos, make news shorter in duration, or make a student read the information off the sheet, it will be a major improvement to overall entertainment. It is crucial that every student listens to the facts and hopefully for the students sake the school revises their format for future broadcasts.