Use of cellphones under certain circumstances

Staff+Reporter+Vanessa+Bugarin+

Newspaper Adviser Damien Tippett

Staff Reporter Vanessa Bugarin

Vanessa Bugarin, Staff Reporter

At the beginning of the year, almost every student signs a contract that includes rules on the use of cellphones, but they continue to disobey the rules every day. Texting a friend in class can end up with serious consequences; cellphones may end up in the office or worst-case scenario, the student caught texting, was cheating, and consequently expelled.

Most teachers obey the rule that students cannot use cell phones, but at the beginning of the year, they take their stance on it with students and it’s a student’s choice on whether to listen or not.

“I think that technology is an excellent source when used appropriately,”  English teacher Laura Varela said, “for example, looking up things for research is a great and appropriate use,” she continued to explain. “However, it is also hard to monitor students on their phones so, it is important for students to have it put away and off when teachers ask them to do so.” Most teachers would agree that cell phones must be away during class, but when it is a student’s time, it is their choice.

Students continue to use their cell phones, no matter what the circumstances are. Are cell phones taking away the in class experience? Junior Torie Reagan thinks otherwise.

“I think that it’s okay to use your cell phone when you need to look things up or plan for your classes,” she explained. “It’s not taking away the in class experience for us, this is how technology helps us.”

Students use their cell phones at appropriate times and of course, they think it is okay. A student’s perspective is best for the use of cell phones because we can understand what materials/apps help them.

Students and others had a choice to take a vote on Debate.org to decide whether students should use cell phones during school. The final vote was that students should bring their phones to school. Students are preparing for “adult life” and they should use the tools, like a cell phone, that help them every day. Issues like cheating and being distracted are not always a cellphones fault.

The use of cellphones in class is ultimately the student’s choice depending on how teachers decide to enforce this rule. However, students must remember that they signed a document saying that they would obey the rules.