Hot Take: Sponsors are hard to come by

When students intend to start a club, it is necessary that they find a club sponsor. Club sponsors are, in other words, teachers or staff on campus that supervise the club and its activities.

The number of clubs have increased this year with new additions such as She’s The First and others, but that leaves little room for any more. With sponsors scarce, forming a legitimate club seems to be impossible. Sponsors themselves are already committed to other responsibilities so leading a club can be out of the question and many other teachers have already been taken.

In some clubs, sponsors need to be more involved through attending events, speaking at meetings, and more. Additionally, club sponsors may need to set up fundraising opportunities, prepare for trips, or work on bigger projects. As the backbone of the club, it can be a lot of extra work

Since the Bowling Club requires little sponsor involvement, the club was able to find a sponsor easily. Their sponsor, environmental science and biology teacher Jill Kenyon, also has another club called the Environmental Club. There are other sponsors who advise more than one club such as French teacher Scott Nichols who is part of French Honors Society, French Club, and Asian Culture Club. Sponsors are already directing more than one club, so it is uncertain how many more clubs will be able to be created in the upcoming years.

There are not many options for sponsors, so the rise in clubs may be stopped for the time being. Some clubs may fizzle out over time, but it is evident that many new clubs have surfaced and sponsors’ hands are becoming increasingly full.