High school dances becoming a new version of Dirty Dancing

Mazyne Smith, Staff Reporter

Along with the rest of the student body, I enjoy moving to the music played at school dances. Nevertheless, the type of dancing students are doing is either too much or not enough.

State’s Gorham High School principal Chris Record states, “Grinding basically involves a girl having her back and buttocks pushed up/pulled up against the boy’s groin with the boy’s hands on her hips and other place.”

This type of dancing promotes sexual gestures and unfamiliar touching that many younger students aren’t ready to partake in.

Record claims, “Younger students have complained about being pressured to participate in grinding. Last year, most students walked out of a homecoming dance after being reminded that grinding was prohibited.”

The reality of this dancing is that many students feel it is okay to dance sexually.

Fellow dance participant Izzy Rozansky claims, “I don’t care it’s their lives. Let them have fun.” While Izzy may be right there should be some level of authority while people are dancing like no one’s watching.

But where are the chaperones? Sophomore Vanessa Bugarin explains: “The security guards aren’t really around. They might be outside.”

This is exactly the type of lack of attention that allows these students to act older than they are, especially since there is no dress code.

The attire stated for these dances are supposed to be semi-formal to completely formal. Consequently the dresses some School dance observer Nick Ashcroft, “These girls are dressing too old for their own good. The dresses they wear are designed for older women going to cocktail parties, not high school girls.” The amount of money put into the dress and the shoes can be more than costly.

CNN journalist Mark Azuz reveals, “The average amount of money that American families are spending is $1,078, which is over $200 more than they spent last year.”  The more the prices rise the more girls have to spend to achieve their dream night.

Let us go back to the fifties where dances actually involved dancing and girls dressed their age.