A.M. Announcements in High School Deemed a Waste of Time

Madison Esch, Staff Reporter

Morning announcements have lost all significance that they had previously possessed. Students and many teachers have stopped listening altogether due to a lack of interest in the topics discussed.

Keith Castillo, honors geometry and algebra 2 teacher, is a teacher constantly being interrupted by the morning announcements. Not only are they hard to hear through the school’s speakers, but the topics are rather boring.

“There aren’t any teachers that I’m aware of who make an attempt to get their classes to listen,” he said.

Castillo says he listens once in a while if the subject somehow interests him, but not often. He also claims that few of his first or second hour students demonstrate superb listening skills when the announcements come on. Castillo’s students supposedly have short attention spans, so most of the announcements go right over their heads.

Matthew Brown is a sophomore student having to listen to the monotone ranting of an underpaid administrator morning after morning. He claims he does not process what he hears; the information goes in one ear and comes straight out the other.

As a sophomore taking all honors classes with extracurricular activities, one would think that he would bother to listen, but that assumption would be wrong. Even the most diligent of students has lost interest in AM announcements.

Concord-Carlisle High School temporarily removed their morning announcements from their daily routine in hopes of proving there was no point to them. The high school principal, Mr. Badalament, admitted, “They weren’t very effective in terms of getting information out to students” because nobody paid attention to them to begin with.

Announcements have little significance, if any at all. They cannot benefit students if the said students do not pay any regard to them.