Attending new school year

Sameer Kabir
A student in an empty classroom showing a numerous amount of absences. During this new school year, the school administration stresses the importance of attending school.

The new school year has started and attendance is as important as ever. A big struggle for several students is the motivation to attend school. Despite this, attending school is vital to improving academic performance. Because it is a new year, the school administration has decided to stress the importance of attendance. The school is now strictly enforcing a previously created rule that prohibits teachers from allowing students who have an unexcused absence to make up missed assignments.

Absences are often the reason a student falls behind in class. English teacher, Tammy Soelberg, noticed that the students who were often absent were the most likely to have dropping grades. Mrs. Soelberg explains that, “By attending class, you have the ability to ask your instructor clarifying questions regarding the material and also participate in classroom activities involving the course material”. Through this advantage, students who attended class would have a more interactive and memorable experience than a student who had to make up that work through an online resource without the help of a teacher.  

However, attending school can be exhausting to some students. Junior, Joshua Andreason believes that students who tend to skip school should not be given harsh punishments because “if they’re getting their work done, they’re getting their work done.” This belief is held by many students who argue that as long as they maintain their grades, they should not be punished for absences. Students who get exhausted from school believe it is their right to take a few days off to mentally recuperate. This is not beneficial to the students as the stress of making up work is often worse than the stress of attending school. The risks outweigh the rewards of missing school. 

Andreason also brings up the fact that many of the students who frequently miss school are students who may not specifically focus on their academics. These students may not make up their work, as they are not inclined to improve their grades. 

However, there are several students who miss school frequently due to extracurricular activities and other errands. As a result, these students often fall behind in class and are forced to make up mass amounts of work. Time management is necessary in succeeding in both school and outside activities. 

Senior Stella Jones, who recorded 102 absences in her junior year, due to extracurricular engagements, stated that “I probably won’t come to school more often, but maybe I’ll keep up with my work better”. Jones is the vice president of DECA and, because of this, Jones is often forced to miss school to attend DECA events.

Jones regrets falling behind last year due to her excess amount of absences, and this year, she is motivated to better balance her extracurricular activities. She encourages the freshmen of this year to make attending school a priority.