Med Pro anticipates arrival of new teacher

Graphic created by Kiyoung Haavisto
Med Pro, short for Medical Professions, prepares students for the medical field. Accompanied by a registered nurse, they are able to explore the course through a variety of presentations and demonstrations.

Most classes this year have had a smooth start, but Medical Professions (Med Pro) students are behind schedule. For the first few weeks of the school year, the class does not have a teacher.

Former Med Pro teacher Stephanie Courvisier resigned from her position, but there was no immediate replacement. Currently, a substitute teacher is filling in for the time being until the new teacher finishes her training. She is not HOSA trained but does have experience as a travel nurse. 

Last year, students were eased into the workload and were learning the basics such as medical terminology. However, this year students were not able to experience the same classroom protocol. Med Pro Two Senior Katrina Russell explained, “Right now, we have a project due the seventh [of Aug.].” But thankfully, Med Pro One and Two have received some assistance from Basha Med Pro teacher Taylor Rutherford.

Rutherford prepares content for the students. If necessary, students are allowed to call her through Zoom. Med Pro Two Senior Maeli Rush stated, “Basha does all of their lessons and then she sends the lessons that Basha did the day before. We’re really keeping up in the class.d the day before, and so then we’re just one day behind. We’re really keeping up.”  Due to her help, students have been able to work through the class with the substitute.

Med Pro One students have been going through presentations and textbook work in preparation for the teacher’s return. According to Med Pro One Junior Parker Matherly, “[If] we’re prepared when the teacher comes, we can work a little bit faster.” Additionally, new Med Pro One students do not have the same requirements as Med Pro Two students. 

These requirements include meeting class and clinical hours. Fortunately, clinical hours begin the second semester, but they are losing class time – until early August to be exact. However, assistant principal Kevin Ames noted that the training process is efficient and the new teacher is able to train from her current location outside of Arizona. 

It is necessary that registered nurses take no more than 10 students for clinical hours, but there is only one teacher in training and 16 students in one of the classes. Ames explained, “Any time we go above [10 students], we have to hire a second clinical person to be a supervisor and the district takes care of that.” The district accounts the number of students in each Med Pro class and will prepare registered nurses when the second semester starts. Therefore, the school will be ready for clinicals in time.

The hiring process for Med Pro teachers is especially difficult. The position requires a certain skill set including not only a teaching certificate, but also nursing experience. The teacher in training has taught other nurses and clinical health assistants, but this will be her first time teaching high school students. During this time though, students have adapted to their current situation as they wait for her. Lessons are still ongoing despite the absence of a registered nurse and classes are left undisturbed.