Spilling the tea on Chai Club

Students of many different ethnicities have been able to find communities through clubs on campus. From Black Student Union to the Asian Culture Club, people of almost every background are able to come together and learn about their culture. Senior Josh Victoria has helped implement that same community for Indian students and those curious about Indian culture through his creation of Chai Club.

Victoria, president of Chai Club, says that in past years he “noticed there wasn’t a lot of Indian representation.” To combat this lack of representation he and a few other key members decided to start Chai Club, a club where every week members could come together for chai and learn about its significance and impact on Indian culture. However, Victoria could not have started this club without a teacher sponsor. So, he went to Veronica Celaya. Celaya says she sponsored the club because “He’s a good kid, and I thought it was a cool idea” 

Plenty of effort is put into the Chai Club by its officers. Victoria and other members make the chai, while senior Brady Deschamps distributes the chai. “The only annoying part is trying to get the right amount,” says Deschamps. With a limited amount of chai and many members attending each meeting, it can be hard to distribute the correct amount of chai. To make things easier for the officers, a form of ticketing has been implemented in the Chai Club. Attendees can collect their chai only after they provide a “ticket” each meeting. This ticket changes each week, and is usually a small required activity like paying the club fee or getting a permission slip signed. Once the ticket is turned in, Victoria says “ We’ll sip it, and I’ll talk to them about how I made the chai and what the chai represents.”

Chai Club has provided a community that students can turn to in order to learn more about chai and Indian culture. Victoria said, “I think it gives us a chance to see that we’re seen, that our culture is represented here.” This club’s presence on campus has brought another opportunity for students of diverse backgrounds to share their history with those around them, and find community in their peers.