Merit Scholars double in number

Four students were named National Merit Semifinalists in 2023: Seniors Ian Zeiger, Lydia Wise, Brynn Feinstein, and Jason Thorpe. In comparison to the two students last year, Joshua Shunk and Sahir Jahan, the numbers have doubled in size.

However, there have been more national merit semifinalists in the past. There have even been seven in previous years, almost double of this year. Overall, the numbers tend to fluctuate year by year and it seems to be completely up to chance.r

AP government and AP human geography teacher, Elizabeth Tompkins, has had three of the merit scholars in her classroom and has observed their behavior. Tompkins noticed that “Students who are National Merit Semifinalists and Finalists [are] particularly fast processor[s] and they’re very good with taking tests.” Test taking skills are fundamental to securing a National Merit Scholarship, aiming for high scores on the PSAT. 

Despite test taking skills, PSAT scores can depend on other circumstances. Zeiger detailed,If you’re having a bad morning or didn’t sleep well, then that can totally negatively affect your performance.” For some, it can be more than intelligence, but also what led up to the test.

To advance to the scholarship, students must also submit an application including grades, an essay, and other requirements. Additionally, all the students take advanced placement classes, excelling in standardized testing, but also tests in the classroom.

Overall, there are too many factors that can influence the number of merit scholars each year, thus changing numbers year by year. But it is true that most semifinalists become finalists. Feinstein noted, I feel confident about the application since the majority of semifinalists become finalists as long as they apply.” It is rare for merit scholars to not move forward, so luckily, most, if not all, national merit semifinalists will be granted the scholarship.