I-10 shooter causes inconveniences for school buses

Zach Klein, Staff Reporter

A recent terror spree, reminiscent of a similar crime a decade ago, has traumatized both the city of Phoenix and the state as a whole.

Beginning on August 29, an alleged total of 11 incidents of projectiles hitting cars along the Interstate 10 highway (I-10) were documented, carrying on through Sept. 10.

The prime suspect was detained Sept. 18 while shopping at a Walmart in Glendale. 21 year old Leslie Allen Merritt Jr. is alleged to own a weapon that is, according to Phoenix PD, “forensically linked” to these acts of terror. The Phoenix police department, in the official press release, stated that Merritt Jr., somewhat emphatically, maintained his innocence, stating repetitively that they had “arrested the wrong guy”.

None of this would normally affect a high school, especially one like Perry, that is situated far from the I-10. But, when the junior varsity football team was scheduled to play at Liberty High School, as they were Sept. 10, the show must go on somehow, even if that means taking a scenic tour.

Athletic director and assistant principal Jennifer Burks, who plays a large administrative role in the football team bus routes, acknowledged that this inconvenience did “change travel times,” but that was necessary to keep the athletes, and coaches and bus driver, as safe as possible.

JV Head football coach Keahi Cambra said that the bus ride took “about two hours and 45 minutes” one way, and went on to explain that Liberty High is “in North Peoria, almost by Surprise…even last night (Sept. 17, at Chaparral High) we went to Scottsdale it took us about 90 minutes, normally that’s a 45 minute drive”.

“It’s an inconvenience but I understand we’re trying to protect the kids,” Cambra acknowledged.

JV football player Robert “Mitch” Wahlin said that he was “tired during the game,” and the bus drive was very “long, we ended up getting home around 10:40”.

Other youth and so-called “copycat” criminals were detained and fined for trying to continue the trend of fear along the highways with nonlethal projectiles, such as rocks from slingshots.

Bail was posted Sept. 19 at $1 million.

With the prime suspect in custody, the ban on buses on highways was lifted by the district offices Sept. 21. When asked if the restrictions would be reimposed should Merritt Jr. be found innocent, Burks added that “I would hate to speculate,” and that logistical decisions “are all up to the district offices.”