Students wonder if homecoming costs are worth it

Caden Johnson, Staff Reporter

With this year’s homecoming ticket cost that was $25 without an activity card, $20 with one, or $30 at the door, some believe that the cost was reasonable, while others say their wallets are now a little too light for comfort.

Many know that homecoming can easily add up to a buzz-killing pricetag with having to buy a dress and heels or a suit and shiny shoes. While some people also paid for dinner and other activities throughout the day, people had to reach deeper and deeper into their wallets.

With all the money generated by the entrance fees, one wonders where all that money went. Eric Magana, a Supervisor of the Student Government (STUGO) meetings, said, “It [went] to cover costs for security, they need police officers, they also use some of that money to put on the prom.”

Magana also said he believes that at last year’s homecoming, STUGO nearly broke even with the costs. The money that is spent to buy the tickets is mostly contributed to the homecoming experience.

Some girls who were asked to homecoming felt bad that their dates were going to pay for both of their tickets. Some who were spending an extra $25 dollars on their date made some girls feel guilty. Junior Jessica Rainey said, “They’re really expensive! Why would I not feel bad?”

Some people believed that the homecoming tickets were expensive, but would be worth it. Junior Zach Durbin said, “I think it’s expensive, but I understand that [STUGO] is doing a lot for homecoming so it makes sense that the price is pretty high.” Many hoped that the money and work that STUGO put towards creating homecoming would pay off. Although it did have a high pricetag in some people’s budgets, to most, the fun outweighed the price.

As Magana said, “Can you put a price on memories that you’re only going to go through once in your life?”