Trail mix to horse trails

Kaitlyn VanKlompenberg, Staff Writer

Where do all those delicious cookies and quenching drinks come from? The cafeteria workers here at school, of course. This close knit group of lunch ladies make sure that every student gets a yummy meal each and every day.

Cafeteria worker Sharon Lockard recently discussed her decision to retire. Lockard has worked for the Chandler Unified School District for more than a decade. Unlike her current occupation, she started off as a transportation employee. Later she transferred to Basha High School then to Santan Junior High.

“We both worked together at Santan so when I switched to Perry it was nice to see a familiar face.” Ex-co-worker Chantal VanKlompenberg stated.

Soon after being employed at the junior high, Lockard moved to Perry High School. She has worked here since the inaugural year of 2007.

“My favorite thing at Perry has been the student workers, visiting the daycare, and all of my fellow co-workers.” Lockard shared, “They are my family.”

Lockard pointed out the many positive aspects that come with working at the school. Her relationships with the student workers have flourished throughout the years and she shared that many past students have come back to visit her. Along with the students, Lockard has had the opportunity to build friendships with the other cafeteria workers.

“I loved how personal she was when I first met her. It amazed me that she was 70 years old, had fought breast cancer, and was still working.” Co-worker Stephanie Dobson expressed.

Lockards boss and the schools lead cafeteria worker, Kim Metcalf, has been working with her for longer than anyone. From being lunch ladies at Santan to transferring to Perry, Metcalf and Lockard have stuck together.

“The girls and I are very sad to see her go, but we are happy for her.” Metcalf shared. When discussing past events, the group of lunch ladies shared their favorite memories involving Lockard.

“On April Fool’s Day, [Lockard] gave some students ten dollars in pennies so they could buy food from my lunch line.” Dobson reminisced. Lockard has been deemed the ‘jokester’ of the cafeteria workers and will be dearly missed by both co-workers and students.

When asked what Lockard was planning to do after her retirement she said that she would enjoy her free time by horseback riding; her favorite pass time. Thank you for everything you have done for the school, Sharon. Happy trails!