Out of Thin Air: What is Improv Club?

Koen Martineau
Captains Logan Kilber and McKenna Landberg give information on Improv Club in the school auditorium. They switch off speaking as they explain details about the club.

Improv Club is a group dedicated to learning to perform with absolutely no script. Students in Improv Club use different sets of games to improve their ability to act on the spot. The Improv Team this year is led by two student captains who are dedicated to helping students get out of their comfort zone and join the fun. 

This year’s Improv Team captains, seniors Logan Kilber and Mckenna Landberg, have personally seen the benefits of Improv Club in their ability to perform on the stage. Kilber says, “When you’re [auditioning] for a show, one of the most important things a teacher will look for is if you’re good at improvising.” This is because, as Kilber later says, “If you can’t improvise the scene gets ruined if something bad happens.” The ability to improvise gives actors an edge when looking to join shows and plays, whether it be in or out of school.  

Improv Club is a major boost to the abilities of those in drama and theater, but the team captains are selective in those they are willing to let join. Kilber says this is because “ …with a smaller group it’s easier to make a better bond, and that’s really important.” So, with less members this year the captains will have to be more decisive when selecting the members. Landberg is looking to find kids “who aren’t afraid to put themselves out there…” 

If students are able to join Improv Club this year, they will have a packed schedule. Members will have practices every other Monday (alternating with Drama Club), and will be performing in six shows this year. After only three shows last year, the new team will need to put in much more time and effort into their preparations. 

The team captains have seen this time and effort make a big difference on and off the stage. For Landberg, Improv Club has helped her overcome stage fright. She also said that Improv Club “Makes [her] a lot more confident and [she’s] more loud and more open…” Kilber saw his benefits in his classes at school, recalling that “In [his] history class [he] was presenting, and it was like night and day. It was so much easier to just talk to people…”

This year the captains are looking to provide opportunities for new members to improve in the way that they were able to in 2023. Kilber is especially dedicated to this because last year a captain of the Improv Team brought him in and helped him progress through improv.  “It feels good to be that person for other people,” Kilber says, and he looks forward to being that person, alongside Landberg, for the Improv Team this year.