Barbie: Unrealistic standard to feminist icon

Barbie+always+starts+her+morning+waving+to+her+friends+from+the+top+of+her+Dream+House.+Greta+Gerwig%E2%80%99s+Barbie+has+inspired+conversation+about+what+it+means+to+be+a+woman+in+today%E2%80%99s+society.+
Hannah Toth
Barbie always starts her morning waving to her friends from the top of her Dream House. Greta Gerwig’s Barbie has inspired conversation about what it means to be a woman in today’s society.

Warner Bros’s Barbie was one of the most highly-anticipated films of the summer. The movie was released on July 21 and brought in a gross total of $162 million over the course of opening weekend, making it the largest debut for a film directed by a woman (The Guardian). While Barbie kept the trailer’s promise of a pink, sparkly hero’s journey accompanied by elaborate dance numbers, viewers have been caught off-guard by its thought provoking nature and blunt social commentary. 

Social media platforms like TikTok and Instagram have been flooded with Barbie content over the last week. Like most media nowadays, the movie has been “memed” and merchandised, but it also has inspired discussion over what it means to be a woman in today’s society amongst the younger generations. 

A common claim among recent posts is that Barbie has given women permission to enjoy being feminine. Nowadays it is generally accepted that you will not be taken seriously wearing dresses and bright colors. The release of the film not only gave women an excuse to dress up in clothing that makes them happy, but it encouraged them to continue doing so in their everyday lives. If the president of Barbieland can wear a ballgown while creating widespread social reform, you can wear pink to your office job. 

Other videos have begun analyzing some of the smaller details Oscar-nominated director Greta Gerwig included to realistically portray a modern-day woman’s experience. Intentional choices in music, dialogue, and set design were not lost on female viewers. Whether it be debating the symbolism of Ken’s actions or the role race plays in the differing experiences of Gloria and Barbie, women are using the movie as an opportunity to discuss the undiscussable. The movie has inspired conversation of substance on platforms that are usually just for funny videos and dancing. 

While the film has inspired and united many, its release has not come without criticism. Both men and a handful of women have argued that the movie depicts men as unintelligent and incapable. Some have claimed that it is going to be the cause of greater division, as it influences women to look down on masculinity. Others have expressed their belief that the story over exaggerates the challenges that come with womanhood and that it is fighting an invisible battle. 

Barbie has opened the door for discussion about the human experience and reminded viewers that while women can work and vote in today’s age, they still face the well-buried issues that result from a patriarchal society. 

Although the movie wraps up in a way that leaves viewers content, there is talk of a sequel. Mattel CEO, Ynon Kreiz, shared with TIME magazine that the company is open to making more Barbie movies in the future. But for now, Barbie will be showing in theaters until Aug. 18.