Filed under Entertainment

A comprehensive guide to entertainment for the upcoming days spent away from school, made for the free-spirited and for the homebodies

Zoo Lights will be active from Nov 22- Jan 14.

Stock Image

Stock Image

In the mood to explore: 

Zoo lights: Nov 22- Jan 14

Bundle up, grab a warm cup of hot chocolate, and walk around the Phoenix Zoo with friends and family. The annual event taking place with thousands of lights displayed throughout the zoo for a fun night of lights.

$5 Movie Tuesdays at Harkins: Dec. 5- Dec. 26

Every Tues. in December, Harkins Theatres will play classic holiday movies. Classics range from Home Alone to Christmas Vacation at 11 of the participating Harkins location across the Valley. Movies will start at 7 PM and will cost $5 per ticket. There will also be special Sat. showings at 10 AM.

Polar Express: Nov. 11- Jan. 6

Take a journey to the North Pole on the Grand Canyon Railway’s Polar Express in Williams, Ariz. Put on warm pajamas and sing Christmas carols with Hot chocolate among other festive snacks on a 90 minute train ride to meet Santa himself.

Christmas Carol: Nov. 30-Dec. 23

A Hale Centre Theatre tradition, the Christmas Carol is back this holiday season. Grab some friends for a fun night out to see a show and eat dinner in Downtown Gilbert.

Scottsdale Princess: Nov. 22-Dec. 21

The Scottsdale Princess is the perfect staycation destination this holiday season. Whether it is an overnight stay or a few hours, the Princess will provide hours of holiday fun ranging from an outdoor ice rink to light shows. It will be fun for the whole family.

In the mood to stay at home:

It’s a Wonderful Life

Since 1946, It’s a Wonderful Life has reigned supreme as one of the most popular holiday films. The film centers on George Bailey, a banker with a big heart. During the holiday season, George’s financial troubles worsen and he finds his life turned upside down. With the help of an angel named Clarence, George learns the power of kindness and a little holiday cheer.

Love Actually
Love Actually is a 2003 rom-com that connects a myriad of people through one holiday season. The star studded cast provides relatable stories for each brand of Christmas. Plus, what is better than a British ensemble with intertwining love stories and Liam Neeson pretending to cry?

Home Alone
Kevin McCallister’s ingenious booby traps have been the fascination of children across America since the 90s. Though not all of us have set a thief on fire, Kevin’s Christmas helps illustrate the importance of family during the holidays.

A Christmas Story
A Christmas Story takes us through the infamous Christmas of Ralphie who only wants a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas. However, the young boy is subjected to every adult taunting him with the ever quotable phrase, “You’ll shoot your eye out!”

H & M Christmas Commercial
A more avant-garde production will round out our list. Wes Anderson directed an H & M commercial that promotes the idea of a selfless Christmas in under four minutes making it a must see on any list.

About the Writers
Madi Kimball, Staff Reporter
Madi Kimball is a senior at Perry and is excited for her final year writing for the Precedent. She is the news editor along with writing for StuGo. When she is not busy writing, she enjoys acting, dancing, and hanging out with friends.
Mia Irvin, Editor in Chief

Mia Irvin is a senior at Perry and this is her fourth year in newspaper.  She will be be the Editor-in-Chief  for the 2017-18 year.  When she is not writing, Mia enjoys listening music and watching movies.  After high school, Mia hopes to attend a college of some sort and pursue a career in screenwriting.