Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

The “Practically Perfect” musical makes its debut

With fly system integration, "Mary Poppins" exceeds expectations

Seniors Michael Gerardi and Hannah Kredit play the roles of Bert and Mary Poppins.

Nick Woodward-Shaw

Before the curtain opened, the cast and crew of “Mary Poppins” had put in hours of grueling work and preparation for the best production possible. Auditions were held right after winter break and the crew had been preparing ever since. “Mary Poppins” finally hit the stage on April 13 followed by the 20, 21, and 22.

The musical is the magical story of Mary Poppins, portrayed by senior Hannah Kredit, who comes into the Banks’ lives when their two naughty children write an advertisement for a new nanny. Mary Poppins takes Jane and Michael on extravagant and unbelievable adventures to change their attitudes.

“The show took a lot of planning, budgeting, and communication,” junior and Costume crew head, Skyler Christensen said, “because without that there isn’t a show.”

Since being announced last spring, the theatre department had great expectations for the production. Speculations that a fly system would be included during choreography made theatre members buzz with anticipation. The system would be just another addition to the already stellar theatre program, as flying was a vital element in the production.

Behind the stage, much effort goes into rigging the fly system. Seniors Nick DeLugt, Logan Doine, and Mario Nieves worked behind the curtain, making the magic come alive on the stage. Their jobs were dedicated specifically to working the fly system, while of course having been taught safety measures they would follow in case something went wrong. One rope allowed the fly system to move left and right, while another allowed it to move up and down. It can be a time-consuming and exhausting process.

In the show, Ms. Andrews, portrayed by senior Layna Baker, sang “Brimstone and Treacle,” a song full of emotion. Ms. Andrews needed to be suspended quite quickly, which meant a high amount force needed to be exerted on the rope. As a result, Nieves had to climb up a ladder and hold the string, and then jump off the top of it at the exactly right moment to launch her into the air quickly.

Each character had a harness that they had to strap on before flying. With that in mind, the costumes were altered specifically to fit with the harnesses. Christensen put in several hours of work to make sure the costumes were exactly what the directors wanted, as well as helped back stage to complete the quick changes.

“It’s nice to see the backstage aspect of it. I know there’s a lot of craziness with crazy costume changes, and set changes,” Junior Emily Woodward-Shaw said. “Everyone backstage [remains] pretty calm. We’re working together as a team to get it done.”

Director Shawna Marquis, technical director Randy Duren, music director Jameson Staley, Choreographers Julie Moore and Fara Sadler, and costume designer Chris Humphrey have put in time and effort to put their vision into the show. The timeless classic “Mary Poppins” had a great audience appeal and will live in the hearts of the cast and crew.

“This might be one of the best show Perry has ever done,” Junior Caleb Glenn said. “It’s because of all of the elements, the amazing choreography, the amazing tech and the fly system. It’s going to be a show to remember.”