Filed under Sports

Boys volleyball preview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys volleyball preview

Chrissy Feller

Chrissy Feller

Chrissy Feller

The boys volleyball team can finally say hello to their season. Perry’s boys volleyball team 2018 record was overall (23-16-2) and finished second with a record of (5-3) in the 6A Premier region. The team will face a few challenging opponents in their schedule this year like Chandler, Brophy and Sandra Day O’Connor. Towards the end of the season the boys will have to play a few tough teams but that gives them time prepare.

In the 2018 season the boys made it to the playoffs while facing Chandler high and managed to beat them 3-1. This allowed the boys to move onto the AIA Boys Volleyball State Championship last year against O’Connor. They lost all three sets in the game and that ended their season.The team hopes they can make it back to the top where they can have another chance to claim victory this year.

The teams averages from last season were, an average of 11.4 kills per set and their overall kill percentage was 42.4 percent. They had a hitting percentage of a .239, and had a total of 195 blocks. With 247 aces averaging about 2 per set. Also the volleyball team had 28.9 digs per match in a total of 122 sets played.

Although the team lost ten seniors after the 2018 season,they only have three juniors returning from last season, Matt Motes, Jacob bell and Adam Breinholt are back for the 2019 season. The team will have only four seniors total on the team while having a lot of younger players playing on varsity but that does not mean anything to them. They are going to go into this season feeling pretty good even with a younger team. “Dallin and Canyon have made a lot of really good progress on the court and have been working hard in practice. So with all of the new kids coming up and with the four seniors, I think that the team should do pretty well this year,” senior Matthew Motes said.

So far the team has played one game over at Corona del Sol court beating them 3-2. During which they played five sets. When asked how he stays focused during the game,  Senior Adam Breinholt said, “I kinda ignore everything, it’s just you have one job to do. Get it done.” On Thursday they had another game against Red mountain, which they won in three sets.