Filed under Showcase, Sports

Pumas use speed to tear through regular season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Jordon Pierson looks to use her speed to get a bunt hit against Chandler. Pierson is one of several Pumas who uses her speed to help the team win.

Stealing bases is a risky, yet surefire way to put numbers up on the scoreboard. The Pumas have a strong line up, with fast girls who are more than willing to take an open opportunity when they see one.

Speed is everything when a base is in sight. “We do a lot of weight lifting so that helps us to get faster to help us get the advantage.” Shortstop junior Sami Gorgia said.

But speed is also only just a piece of the puzzle. Confidence and zero hesitation plays a key role in getting from base to base. “It is the confidence in you because you can’t hesitate because if you hesitate you’ll be out. So you just have to be confident in yourself.” Junior Natalie Arbizu said. To be confident is to know yourself, and what you can do. “You have to have a good mindset, you have to know your abilities and what you’re capable of doing and be confident within those.”

The players might be the ones risking it, but there is one person behind it all – the coach. “We just trust our coach, he gives us the signs so he knows we’re a fast team and we work hard,” said Gorgia.

Head Coach Rob Hehe knows what is best, and leads the team to rack up points. “Anytime on the bases, they only run when I tell them to run; it’s not something they choose to do on their own. But obviously it’s going to be dependent upon the hitter at the plate as well.” Hehe said.

Having a fast team he knows that stealing bases can advance the team quickly in runs and placement on the field. Hehe said, “we’ve ran the bases pretty well this year. I’ve got some pretty fast kids at the top of our line up so we’ve managed to get some stolen bases this year…it’s huge.”

The team will be in action next during their first playoff game at Perry High School on Sat. April 28. Currently ranked in the top eight, the Pumas are set up for a memorable, and hopefully, banner worthy season.

About the Writer
Mia Irvin, Editor in Chief

Mia Irvin is a senior at Perry and this is her fourth year in newspaper.  She will be be the Editor-in-Chief  for the 2017-18 year.  When she is...