Filed under Showcase, Sports

Family ties: Brothers first, then teammates

Back to Article
Back to Article

From left to right, top row: Wyatt Crenshaw, Kasin Alexander, CJ Valdez and Sam Gonzales. Bottom row: Dustin Crenshaw, Brock Alexander, Tyler Valadez and Chris Gonzales.

Asher Laufenburger

Asher Laufenburger

Asher Laufenburger

The family ties in sports are all over professional teams, the father passing traditions on to their sons. At Perry, it’s brother to brother.

There are four sets of brothers playing in the program this year- the most the Pumas have ever had. The Alexanders, Crenshaws, Gonzales’ and Valdez families all have multiple brothers wearing cardinal and navy, which according to head coach Damien Tippett, makes this a special era for PHS.

MEET THE CRENSHAWS

For the Crenshaws, Perry Baseball is nothing new, senior Wyatt was once the younger brother to Wacy (who graduated in 2016) and is now the older brother to Sophomore Dustin. Dustin and Wyatt were close enough in age growing up that they could play on the same team.
Wyatt feels that watching Wacy play gave him “a good example of how to play the game right.” After seeing his older brother set an example, he plans on doing the same for Dustin by “showing him a good mental approach to the game.” Dustin feels like he “knows what to expect” after watching both his brothers go through the program.

MEET THE ALEXANDERS

Junior Kasin Alexander and his freshman brother Brock are not close enough in age to have played on the same team growing up. That didn’t stop them from playing catch and hitting in their at-home batting cage.  Their passion for baseball has always been a family tradition, considering their own father played for the St. Louis Cardinals and their uncle played for the Milwaukee Brewers.

MEET THE GONZALES BROS

Senior Sam Gonzales and his freshman brother Chris Gonzales’ relationship is more of best friends than anything. Chris looks up to his older brother, saying that their common interest makes it “easier to relate” to him. Like most of the other brothers, baseball is a family affair, including playing catch in the backyard and their dad encouraging them from the beginning.

MEET THE VALDEZ BROS

Sophomore Tyler Valdez and junior CJ Valdez are the closest in age among the brothers. Tyler describes their relationship having “friendly competition,” he uses the competition to work harder, always trying to better their skills.

As of press time, the boys are 4-3 and preparing to host O’Connor on Mar. 13.

About the Writer
Asher Laufenburger, Sports Editor

Asher has been writing for the Precedent since her junior year. She was the assistant sports editor and worked her way up for this year to be the senior...