Filed under Showcase, Sports

Cheer returns from nationals, placed 7th out of 44 teams

Varsity+cheerleading+owned+the+competition+with+the+all+girls+show+cheer+and+the+five+man+performance+at+state+before+nationals+in+Anaheim%2C+California.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Varsity cheerleading owned the competition with the all girls show cheer and the five man performance at state before nationals in Anaheim, California.

Kayla Gee

Kayla Gee

Kayla Gee

Imagine stepping in front of stands filled with spectators and other competitors from every part of the nation. Hundreds of eyes are fixed but only a select few matter. In front of these eyes are score sheets ready to document any mistakes or deductions. Years of work and practice finally lead to one routine.

Nationals is the finale of the season where teams compete to prove who is the most elite in the country. The varsity cheerleading team has been met with discouraging challenges but emerged with a  more powerful momentum towards winning the nation-wide meet. During Feb. 23 to 25, the athletes contested in Anaheim, Calif. among 44 teams.

The pressure to perform was heightened at the competition because it was the first time that cheer has ever competed in the advanced division. “We’ve moved up to advance this year because we have a lot of strong tumblers and our stunting has progressed a lot,” said Head Coach Desiree Stinnett. The new division gave upcoming cheerleaders insight on “ the next level” of competition and experience that will help prepare for next nationals.

After the competition, sophomore Ashdyn Marr was still proud on pulling out a win and said, “I knew it was going to be a challenge but throughout the season I knew that our team was ready and advanced was a good challenge for us.”

Marr has already developed goals such as “to continue to encourage everyone and have the right mindset” and focalize on winning for her upperclassman years.

As an upperclassman, senior cheer captain Kalie Callison made sure the team was fixed on improving skills and enacted a mentality of positivity among her teammates. Callison served as a motivator as the date drew closer.

“We wanted to do better,” Callison said, “ but I think we’re happy how we came together and we did the best we could.”

However, Stinnett claimed, “It’s the best we’ve placed but they wished they would have hit it perfect… there were some mistakes that I think is what held them back. It was like one of those “good-bad” feelings.”

The season finished off with a 7th place ranking among the nation and 9th for the fiveman.

About the Contributor
Kayla Gee, Double Truck Editor

Makayla Gee is a senior at PHS and is Double Truck Editor. Along with editing, Makayla is covering the 2018-19 boys soccer team and their season. Makayla...