XC plans to utilize both young and old runners

Karson Hentges, Staff Reporter

Just as summer is coming to a close, Perry’s cross country team is kicking into full gear again, and the ambitions and passion of each and every athlete could not be higher. Looking to aim big for the upcoming season, a large weight has been placed on the runner’s shoulders, old and new.

When practice began just a few weeks ago on Aug.10, team captain Kane Hudson stated, “There have been two freshmen practicing with the varsity group. Those freshmen are Gavin King and Marshall Conley…and they have been working out harder and faster than expected.”

Putting emphasis on running as a lower-classman in a challenging yet rewarding sport, Hudson also mentioned, “When I was just starting out, they supported me and pushed me to be the best I could be. Cross country was one of the greatest experiences of my life.”

Aiming not only to have the highest team GPA in the state, but also to become this year’s state champions, Perry’s team will be keeping close eyes on their talented new runners, as well as their veterans such as junior Hudson and senior Cade Burks. The team will be meeting at their first invitational against Chandler High School at Tumbleweed Park on Sept. 5.

About the Writer
Karson Hentges, Staff Reporter

Karson Hentges is a junior at Perry High and a first-year staff reporter at the PHS Precedent. He will be writing about boy's basketball, cross country,...