Golf plows through their state matches

Senior+Brad+Pottle+getting+ready+to+start+the+match+on+Tuesday%2C+Sepember+22nd.+

Allison Moyers

Senior Brad Pottle getting ready to start the match on Tuesday, Sepember 22nd.

Sam Nabaty, Staff Reporter

Boys

Boys golf has had a successful season so far, hoping to continue into the battle for state. Brad Pottle expands on how hard they’ve been working to get to state, “We all practice for the team and we all try to play in our own tournaments.” Almost all of the boys play on their own time, bringing their skill back when they play for Perry.

Senior Brady Hatten has high hopes for the upcoming battle. Hatten thinks that Perry definitely has a chance at the title for the first time in school history, “The closest we have ever been was second place.” With all the outside practice and matured talents, Hatten hopes for individual champions and team champions.

Going into state, the team has high expectations but do anticipate quite a battle to come, “Our biggest opponents right now are definitely Desert Mountain or Hamilton.” The team hopes to continue their success at state playoffs to wrap up their season.

Head coach John Lowery is very proud of his boys, “I think it would be disappointing if we were less than top five.” Boys golf worked their way up to the top and showed that at state on Nov. 4th and 5th at Aguila Golf Course.

Girls

Girls golf qualified as a team for state for the first time in school history. The team is currently 4th in section II and 15th overall. Sophomore Dakotah Kreil, 9th in section II, explains how they improved from previous years as: “Our team is very young. We had a lot of freshman and sophomores that worked a lot over summer that came back ready to roll.” Kreil hopes the next few years will be steady and that they keep up how they are doing now.

Senior Emma Fernandez was beyond-belief about qualifying for state. “Qualifying for state was such a big deal…just being there is such an amazing experience.”

Head coach Brian Bernier is delighted with the girls’ progress this season. He has guided and encouraged the girls to get better and to work towards this ultimate goal. “My goal for state is to finish in the top 10. Honestly, state is a completely different animal than the regular season.” Bernier wishes for the girls to continue their hard work and to have fun and finish the season on a positive note.