Swim and Dive on start of season and scholarships

Senior+Jake+Perrine+swims+to+the+finish+line+

Senior Jake Perrine swims to the finish line

Nikki Soto, Staff Reporter

Most athletes aspire to continue their sports careers long after they have hung up their caps and gowns. However, not every student is seeking the opportunity for sports scholarships.

Senior Jake Perrine, longtime swimmer, does not plan on continuing swim in college. “I want to focus on my studies as an engineer,” Perrine explains, “also there is not a lot of scholarship money in men’s swimming.”

It is difficult to earn athletic scholarships for any sport, but for smaller sports, chances are even slimmer. College athletics are also very time consuming, and it can be difficult to find a balance between schoolwork and sports.

“Some students are very consumed with scholarships, but the percentage that get them are low,” says principal Dan Serrano. But although the chances are slim, there are still opportunities for skilled athletes in any sport. “If you have good academics and are good at your sport, then you can find a school that will want you,” adds Serrano.

Although Perrine does not wish to continue swimming in college, he loves the sport and his team. “The racing is very exciting and keeps me going. I also love the team. We are really close,” comments Perrine. The swim season is just starting, and the athletes have been working hard to start off strong.

The Swim and Dive team just had their first official meet Thursday, Sept. 10, and put up a tough fight against Chandler. The boys team scored a win, beating Chandler 109-76. However, the girls team lost 73-113. This is just the beginning of their competitive season, and the athletes and coaches have confidence they will pull out a win for both teams in the future.

“We are a young team and will get stronger every year,” explains Coach Carrasco. The team is confident in their ability, and are proud of how the meet went. “I was very pleased with how we swam against Chandler,” says Carrasco.

Although some of Perry’s swimmers will continue their sports careers in college, and some will not, the years spent playing high school sports are very rewarding.