Boy’s volleyball season ends in defeat

Sarah Sharp

Boys volleyball hosts playoff game against Mountain View

Mia Irvin, Staff Reporter

The end of the road to for boys’ volleyball is finally here closing in an epic quarterfinal game against Mountain View Mesa. The team has had an unheard of season, dominating most of the games they played in. Senior Loren McClure has been ready for the challenge of competing for first place since day one. McClure has been competing on varsity for three years, waiting for his chance at winning that coveted trophy. “This is what I’ve worked for,” he said. “I’ve worked a lot, eight years for it.” All his hard work will boil down to one season; this one.“[Winning state] would mean a lot, a lot of us have been working for three or four years.” McClure shares. “[This season is] the peak of our high school volleyball careers.” The Pumas got to the quarterfinals for the third consecutive year and faced off against Mountain View Mesa. “Beating a lot of higher ranked teams has helped our momentum.” said McClure. Head coach Brian Pomerantz was ready for the team’s hard work to finally pay off. “It would mean everything to them. These boys have been together for three or four years, and for them to win as a group it would mean the world to them.” The Pumas played a great first set, winning 25-17. In set two, the boys’ played superior defense, and worked collectively. They came out strong and beat the Toros in the second set 25-16. During the third set, the Toros struck back, and beat the Pumas by a narrow margin of 25-22. The Toros took set four as well by a score of 25-18. in a close fought game, Mountain View Mesa won the game in set five by a score of 21-19, ending the Pumas season in a devastating loss. The boys’ team will leave the court losing five seniors. “There is such a tight bond between the juniors and the seniors that the class is irrelevant. It’s just a great group of boys.” But Pomerantz is not disappointed.“I think the chemistry that our team has been building is going to set us up for a lot of years of success.” Pomerantz said. The team plans to come back next year stronger and hungrier than ever.