Music in Class Policy: Time for a Change

Staff+Reporter+Haley+Young+

Newspaper Adviser Damien Tippett

Staff Reporter Haley Young

Hayley Crosby, Staff Reporter

Whenever the teacher assigns individual classwork, the million-dollar-question is already awaiting an answer: “can we listen to music while we work?”

Most teachers enforce the rule of “no listening to music in class,” but some do not care all too much when students are working productively while listening to music.

Students are continuously asking that age-old question, in every single one of their daily classes, praying for that simple “yes.” According to a study published by Stanford University Medicine researcher, Mitzi Baker, listening to music engages the attention span of a person, allowing them to focus more and help their brains organize incoming information.

Baker states in her article on the research Stanford composed, that even music composed over two centuries ago has the same effect.

“The research also revealed that musical techniques used by composers 200 years ago help the brain organize incoming information,” Baker enlightens on the topic.

From a teacher’s perspective, Laura Varela, on level English teacher for 10th and 11th grade, states that she is “a stickler” when it comes to listening to music in the classroom. She has her students put their headphones and their cell phones away to prevent any distractions.

“The only time I allow my students to listen to music in class is when we are listening to music together,” Varela states. For example, when Varela’s students are working independently, she puts music on to listen to as a class, rather than independently through their headphones. Varela believes that listening independently through headphones is a “distraction.”

“Although, students think that it does not distract them from what is going on in the classroom, it does,” Varela continues. “It is hard to monitor students on their headphones when someone is giving direct instructions.”

U.S. History teacher, Paul Kreutz, says otherwise. Kreutz allows his students listen to music when working independently in class, due to the proven studies that have shown that music stimulates the brain.

“I find it helps them focus,” Kreutz continues. “It’s been proven to stimulate brain activity.” Music even allows Kreutz himself to concentrate more, stating “I, for one cannot get anything done without music playing. When it is quiet, I get nothing done.”  

Kreutz understands how some students feel that music is their only way to concentrate. During independent work in his U.S. History class, Kreutz even has his own music playing, practically inaudible.

Junior, Vanessa Bugarin, agrees that music is beneficial in the classroom.

“It helps us to get in our zone while we do our homework.” Bugarin explains. “It helps me concentrate because I am focused on myself and my work instead of others.”

With several students and even teachers commenting on the ability music has on helping students concentrate, it calls for a change of the music policy in classrooms. To listen or not listen to policy is the question