Yates Hates: Abstinence-only sex education not realistic

Opinions+Editor+Erik+Yates.+

Newspaper adviser Damien Tippett

Opinions Editor Erik Yates.

Erik Yates, Opinions Editor

There comes a time in every student’s life where changes start happening to their bodies. They may not find the answers in Chandler’s comprehensive health classes. Instead, confusion could arise leading to more questions and even fewer solutions in sight.
The comprehensive health class has sex education or abstinence courses. The course consists of nonsensical analogies and games with scare tactics disguised as lessons. The lessons are laughable in all honesty.
The district does not even allow the respective comprehensive health teacher to teach this. “It’s a district policy. […]It’s a district decision,” comprehensive health teacher Louis Nightingale said. Abstinence speakers, brought in by the district, make the topic of sex sound like an unfair gamble, something of Sex Game of Chance. Like a three-sided spinner. Two sides, one saying pregnancy and the other saying STDs, take up most of the spinner. A small fraction for “safe” sex is tightly crammed between the two. Did that analogy make sense? Probably not, but neither do the analogies or “games” presented in abstinence.
Despite sex being a sensitive topic in school, students will have questions. However, the abstinence teacher seems to constantly deflect any logical and genuine questions asked by students. They will skirt around questions like “what if I don’t want to get married?” By acting as if it is a moral duty to find a spouse. Some students may not be interested in marrying someone or, for all I know, might be interested in an open relationship. It is impossible to know in this day and age.
While it is important to talk about the dangers of sex, it should not be the sole topic of abstinence. Despite teaching about , they do attempt to teach about having a healthy relationship, except it is hard for the instructors to convey anything outside of the realm of cut-and-dry style relationships.
Instead of making a point to avoid the mysteries of sex and sexuality, the comprehensive health classes should be a way to learn more about sex instead of the oh-so dangerous Sex Game of Chance.