Chick-fil-A replacement proves worthiness

Newspaper Adviser Damien Tippett

Staff Reporter Lucas Smith.

E. Yates & Lucas Smith, Staff Reporter

When it comes to a high schooler’s lunch, the expectation is that the same thing is available and served quickly everyday. A PHS cafeteria pastime – the Chick-fil-A sandwich served every Wednesday – is no longer an option on campus.  Upon the recent outcries from the student body for an answer, the school board went out and answer this question that has been the question in the air.

“In July, there were some USDA regulations that changed that require us to be more restrictive in calories, fat, and sodium in what we were selling.” Patti Narducci said about the removal of the brand-name fast-food restaurant. “We have a less expensive option than the Chick-fil-a product this year.”

The solution that the cafeteria pioneered was to make a replacement chicken sandwich to both cut costs for themselves and possible calories for the students. Upon sampling, there was a very familiar flavor of pickles in the breading. Whether or not this is just a mental trick is hard to tell. Furthermore, the only real difference in the two sandwiches that were truly notable were the size and the buns. The new sandwich could easily be deemed as a suitable successor.

The United States Department of Agriculture initiated the “Smart Snacks” program, which is aimed at allowing schools to offer healthier foods while limiting junk food.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “In 2012, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese,” which considering the obesity, this seems like a smart decision. The last thing kids really need these days is to have more unhealthy food shoved down their throats at school.

The instance of change seems to scare people. Change is a part of life and life is not always fair. In this case, a more than acceptable replacement has been introduced. In truth, what differentiates the two sandwiches? Does the brand name and logo really matter that much to people?