KTAR recognizes STEM program, Avery Scholz and Joe Greene

Caden Johnson, Staff Reporter

Senior Averie Scholz and Assistant Principal Joe Greene were recently featured on KTAR radio for the success of Perry’s Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) program.

STEM has been a successful program on campus and has won several awards from various organizations throughout Arizona such as the Golden Bell.

This program primarily prepares students science, medicine, engineering and math majors. It includes taking several higher level math and science courses. Students can enter the program as soon as freshman year and follow the program throughout the rest of their high school career.

Some believe that the STEM program’s focus on preparing students for after high school is why it is so successful. Rather than merely aiming for success in high school, the program directs its attention towards the future of each student’s life. Greene commented, “I think we are innovative here, I think we tend to look more toward when the kids get out of high school.”

The STEM program at Perry has received media recognition like this on several occasions in the past. STEM has been featured on Channel 12 EVB Live, the San Tan Paper, and will soon be in the East Valley Tribune and the Arizona Republic. All these prestigious media outlets recognizing the Perry STEM program bring to attention what benefits Perry has to offer. Greene stated, “we’ve hit five media outlets just the last few months.”

Being on KTAR Radio is another time STEM got to tell their tale of success over the media. Scholz, a member of the program and a student at the top of her class explained, “I think it’s really special to me. I just think it’s pretty cool to be recognized by the [media].”

Being recognized by a widely renowned radio station goes a long way and it is an effective way that the program and Perry to get more attention. Principal Dan Serrano claimed, “it gives us a lot of attention. We do attract a lot of kids from out of district to come to this school.”

The wide-ranging success of the STEM program has provided an extra motivation for students to attend this school.