Mathew the Fisher

Ernesto Chacon, Staff Reporter

Patience and passion; two character traits one might need in order to enjoy fishing. Senior Mathew Marquez has mastered these characteristics. Chances are you have seen Marquez at school walking around in his outdoorsman inspired clothes.

Marquez can easily be spotted on campus with a bass pro hat, and a smile that does not lie. This smile can be caused by his passion; fishing. M. Marquez  has been fishing since he could remember, “I was five when I [first] went [fishing] at Black Canyon lake,” said Marquez.

He fell in love with fishing and has not lost his devotion for it. “He loves to go fishing at Veterans Oasis park but he gets very excited when he is able to go to out of state [fishing] trips,” explains life and skills teacher Nora Boettcher.

Marquez’s passion for fishing extends beyond the lake, “he enjoys every aspect of it, from picking out and buying his fishing pole, getting the worms and/or power bait, the thrill of the catch, the cleaning/gutting and eating it!” explained Mathews mother, Traci Marquez.

This excitement is also what makes him good at what he does, “he caught 24 fish while on fall break in Colorado two weeks ago,” recounted T. Marquez. One of his most successful catches would have to be a rainbow trout that was 3 lb. and 2oz, which is quite impressive considering it was caught with his smallest pole and a 4 lbs. line.

With such passion and almost obsession for the sport it may seem that M. Marquez would have trouble separating his academics from fishing, but he actually uses it to his advantage. “[When we] practice communication skills.. [fishing helps] get language from Matthew in a helpful and purposeful way,” explained Boettcher. Fishing has also helped M. Marquez focus since it has allowed him to understand that,”He has to do this before he can [fish],” said Boettcher.

“[fishing has] taught him to have patience, perseverance, and discipline.” said T. Marquez. Matthew hopes that one day he will be able to work at his favorite store; Bass Pro shop, or to be a master fisherman. With his perseverance and passion for the sport, M. Marquez should be able to accomplish his goals.