Doyle makes major stride in recovery from stroke

Freshman Hope Doyle races with her horse, Solye last month.

Valerie Burgess, A&E Assistant Editor

Nearly one year since enduring a stroke which left her partially paralyzed, Hope Doyle climbed back in the saddle again.

Last November she fell ill with an extreme fever, which caused her to suffer a stroke. Since that time she has gone through a lengthy recovery that has included physical therapy to regain movement.

Last month was a landmark event for Doyle: the former soccer player and equestrian had a chance to barrel race with her horse for the first time since the stroke. Not only did Doyle and her horse, Solye, reunite, but the duo placed in two of her four events.

Father Mike Doyle tells how while horseback riding she can become equal with all others, because no effects of the stroke are inhibitive to her movements.

“There is no amount of therapy that can amount to the therapy when she goes horseback riding.”

This December, Hope’s story is being spread to an even wider audience on Dec. 12 for the Ignite Hope Walk (IHW) at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.

The walk is an effort to raise awareness for patients and raise funds for the hospital.

“Ignite Hope was inspired by a 15-year-old cancer patient [named Katie] whose friends held a candlelight vigil outside her hospital window right before Christmas in 2011 [while she was receiving cancer treatment],” according to the IHW campaign.

New purpose is found for the simple action of walking as a united body.

“All of the dollars raised go towards the Hospital’s Hope Fund,” IHW coordinator Sandy Garcia continues, “which helps to finance innovative research, cutting-edge technology [and] child-friendly programs and services.”

Mike Doyle explains the unique nature of September’s story as it presents itself to a new audience.

“There have been many stories about Hope, but it is from the perspective [of] a peer to a peer.”

A community of supportive friends and family have been strengthened by Hope and her story of perseverance.