Sophomore aims for sky-high goals

Sarah Lankford

Kirstyn Conroy working in her Calculus BC class. Conroy will be the first STEM scholar early graduate.

Sam Nabaty, Staff Reporter

Graduating a STEM scholar and graduating early: two very ambitious goals to strive for. Sophomore Kirstyn Conroy aims to be the first combination of the two in school history. With her goals set high, Conroy will graduate as a part of the class of 2017, the second graduating class of STEM students at Perry.

STEM, Science Technology Engineering and Math, is a specific program designed to help students into mathematics-based fields. Some may think that this goal is not achievable due to the workload STEM comes with. Conroy comments, “It’s probably going to be a lot of work but at the same time, every school year, it starts of a lot of work and then it gets easier as you get used to it.” Her confidence and determination will help her through the next two years.

STEM counselor Fred Mann states, “It’s really just a matter of fitting in 22 credits.” If in the 2016-2017 school year, Conroy takes all seven Advanced Placement classes she needs and takes some additional courses online, she will reach the required amount of credits. Conroy is committed to setting this record, regardless of the class load and hardship she will go through in the next two years.

“I want to be a vet when I grow up so I kind of want an early start on that and also it’s kind of just graduating early, it would make it easier for me to get further and accomplish my goals earlier” Conroy explains when being asked why she wants to graduate early.

Conroy will be leaning on the help and support of her family, especially brother Joseph Conroy, “I think it’s great that she’s pushing herself as hard as she can.”