Yeager helps team, Shibel go fight win

Ellie Wendt, Staff Reporter

Perseverance, a trait many athletes desire but rarely play out. However this is not the case for junior tennis player Jordan Yeager. Yeager currently plays on Perry’s varsity team and is looking forward to a tennis scholarship. Of course this success did not come easily, or suddenly. Yeager was first introduced to a ball and racket his freshmen year of high school. He had never given much thought to the sport but was willing to try out. Unfortunately he did not qualify for a spot on the team however this did not stop him. He was determined, so he persevered. “My family is athletic so I learn really fast.” Yeager says. Learn fast he did, the next year he made varsity and has been training harder than ever since then. “For [only playing tennis for] two and a half years I’m beating guys that have been playing since they were four years old.” Yeager proudly shares. Yeager now competes at the number one spot for the team and provides a great example to all his teammates. “[Being number one] takes an incredible amount of persistence and fortitude and is quite an accomplishment.” Head coach Thomas Lennox states. One of Yeager’s strongest qualities has always been persistence. Aside from his hard working tennis career he also is committed to his second sport soccer along with outside activities such as scouts. “He pushes the whole team to get better and play at his level.” teammate junior Brennan Sciascia says. Yeager’s motivation and determination provide an example to his younger teammates who look up to him on and off the court. He takes this responsibility seriously and strives to work even harder in the years to come.

Girls’ Tennis

From a young age, the game of tennis has inspired the family of junior Allie Shibel. Her father played in college, inspiring her to do the same. It was no surprise when at the age of five; she decided to give it a go. Shibel fell in love with the game instantly. “I love playing tennis, being a part of a team, and playing doubles with a partner,” Shibel says. Shibel started playing club tennis when she was 12 and is now a proud member of Perry’s girls’ varsity team holding the number one spot. “Allie brings a competitive attitude [to the team],” girls coach Keith Castillo says. Shibel’s best quality is being a leader, and inspiration to her teammates along with giving her all in everything she does. “She just has every quality of being a leader,” teammate senior Taylor Shin shares. “She knows exactly what we need to work on, she always gives people advice.” Aside from her tennis passion, Shibel is also a dedicated artist. “Both inside of school and outside I am very artistic. I love drawing and painting,” she said. Shibel considers drawing and painting to be one of her favorite hobbies. She currently has a piece in the school’s art show this year. Shibel plans to take her blooming tennis career on through high school and into college just like her father, and pursue the sport she loves