No rest for theatre students

Maddie Zuschlag

Putnam shares the unlikely story of misfits competing for the prize of being the spelling bee champion

Nikki Soto, Staff Reporter

Perry theatre never fails to create quality productions, but often times what goes on behind the curtains can be just as exciting as the organized chaos on stage. With “You Can’t Take It With You” coming to a close, the theatre department is already working on their next musical: “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.”

“We do a lot all at once, but we work well in a fast-paced environment,” explains junior Brandon Hayes. Hayes is to be starring in the Winter musical.

The musical is a comedy that centers around six intellectual students with very different personalities, all aspiring to be the champion of the spelling bee. Preparations for the upcoming musical have recently begun, and is set to showcase Nov. 5, 6, and 7th.

The actors have been working hard to perfect their roles, but the technical crew has been working equally hard, creating all the special effects that bring the show to life. “Being in tech is challenging, but so rewarding,” comments junior Sarah Martino, “The people are what make it so great.”

With the tech crew and the actors putting in long hours, the show is sure to be well-prepared and polished.

Although theatre department packs a busy schedule, the shows they produce are always sure to leave the audience happy.