Perry-Winkles Prepare for Upcoming Performing Season

Bree Wade

Perry-Winkles Julia Gilmer and Ryan Dunn demonstrate an improv game during practice

Bree Wade, Staff Reporter

Two-time reigning State Champions is an impressive enough title, but the Perry-Winkles improv team is not resting on its laurels. In order to uphold their reputation as National Comedy Theatre High School Improv League Champions, the Perry-Winkles are preparing for the upcoming performing season by learning new games and building stronger relationships with each other.  

Perry-Winkles instructor Shawna Marquis states, “I feel like [the Perry-Winkles] have a lot of chemistry…I think they’re going to work well together.”

Starting in the beginning of August, the Perry-Winkles initiated a weekly routine practice to help familiarize them with each other and the games they will be playing in upcoming performances and competitions.

Julia Gilmer, a senior and NCT Co-Captain of the Perry-Winkles expresses her excitement, “I’m pretty confident. We have a few returning students and about eight new kids…We need just a little more practice and then we’ll get it.” The Perry-Winkles plan to practice until they solidify their strategies.

Many people across the Arizona theatre community are anticipating to see what this year has in store for the improv team, including their supporters and fans.

Principal Dan Serrano commented, “If they keep doing what they’re doing, they’re going to be fine because they’re very talented.”

Through dedication and the incorporation of fun, the improv team hopes to again make it to State and defend their standing title.