Filed under Showcase, Uncategorized

The Uyeshiro Sister Power

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Uyeshiro Sister Power

For the first time in four years, the 22-2 Pumas are heading to Xavier College Prep to take on the Gators in the soccer state championships. The game will take place on Saturday, February 10 with tip off at 11 am. Sisters Delaney and Shaylynn Uyeshiro are two of twenty eight players that helped get the team to the championships.

Senior Delaney Uyeshiro has had an impressive high school career as she has been on the team for all four years. She is continuing her career as she commits to Idaho State University, which she will attend in the fall. “I picked Idaho State because they have a good soccer program and I have family living over there,” Uyeshiro states.

Although it will be difficult for Delaney to leave her all her friends and family, she is excited to embark on a new journey.

Luckily for the Pumas, there is another Uyeshiro who is holding impressive stats and will still be here for another year. Shaylynn Uyeshiro is currently a junior and has been on the varsity team for two years. She started off on the freshman team her first year but easily moved up to the next level her sophomore year.

Being only one year apart, you would think the Uyeshiro sisters are close. “We obviously both share a big common interest in soccer,” Shaylynn answers. They grew up playing soccer together, so it wasn’t too hard for them to get along.

Although they are sisters, their game styles are totally different. Delaney succeeds best in Defensive Third and that is her main position. Shaylynn plays both Defensive Third and Middle of the Field, but does better in the middle. They are both good in their own unique ways.

As for the championship game, this will be the first time for both sisters to ever go to state. The last time the Pumas went to state was the 2013-2014 season, which Delaney would’ve been a 8th grader. “We just have to go into the game Saturday and give it 110,” Delaney says, looking forward.