Fenty Beauty has makeup lovers talking

Sephora’s walls are covered in any makeup you can think of  from eye shadows to lipsticks,foundations,eyebrow kits, lip liners, highlighters and plenty more, but with this wide array of choices there also comes a question. Are most of theses products that are being sold ethical?

The word ethical is utilized often.“it’s not ethical to have your elbows on the table at dinner son.” Sound familiar? Maybe from a parent correcting manners at dinner, but what is the actual definition for ethical in stores? The definition of ethical for stores can change from person to person but personally ethical in stores means to me is cruelty free, and better ingredients such as no parabens. So when I went to Sephora I looked for those products.

The first thing I did was go on Sephora’s website and searched cruelty free.To my surprise 1202 products popped up! I scrolled through several pages and there was a wide range of products but one name kept repeating the more I scrolled, Fenty Beauty!

Now I’m sure you have heard of Fenty Beauty already since the internet and makeup gurus are exploding in excitement over Rihanna’s products. According to Rihanna herself, Rihanna created Fenty Beauty, “so that women everywhere would be included…makeup is there for you to have fun with. It should never feel like pressure. It should never feel like a uniform. Feel free to take chances, and take risks, and dare to do something new or different.”

As a woman of color I find it incredibly difficult to find products that work for me. Over the years I have tried many products that are marketed for darker skin tones or all skin tones that just haven’t worked. I try to find my skin tone in makeup that matches close to perfect and I almost can never; making me and other women of color feel excluded from the beauty industry.

The first commercial ad dropped for Fenty Beauty had so much diversity in the industry in the matter of a 1 minute or so commercial was truly intending to  include women of all skin tones and was revolutionary. Foundations ranging in 40 different shades including a large amount of shades for darker skin. Fenty beauty really hit it out of the park with diversity. All products are also 100% cruelty free and lots of the products are made without parabens but not all.

The products themselves are in beautiful packaging and weightless formulas that don’t feel cakey on the skin. The highlighter I tried in the shade“ trophy wife” was blinding and seems like it would look good on any skin tone. The gloss bomb universal lip luminizer really does look good on lighter and dark skin tones and is definitely glossy. Over all, Fenty Beauty stays winning in an ethical matter. Fenty Beauty covers all platforms from diversity, quality, ethics and even a sleek product that is appealing to the eye.

About the Writer
Kalany Rosado, Staff Reporter
Kalany Rosado is a junior and is in the Newspaper class. She will be writing about health and wellness, STUGO and cross country.  Rosado enjoys cinematography, journalistic writing and photography. She has wild sense of adventure and loves to travel, dance, learn about different cultures and loves fashion.