Filed under Sports

Golf season prepares for student diversity

Young Pumas focused on big picture for this season

Over this past weekend the boys and girls golf teams had their first tournament. The girls playing at the Night Hawk Invitational at the Omni Resort in Tucson; boys at the Brophy Invitational at the Grey Hawk Golf Club.

With the ladies having only three seniors and the boys having zero seniors, it will be interesting to see how the team develops over the year in preparation for the following years.

Coach Brian Bernier said of the girls team “they’re getting better and developing”.

This year they have implemented a developmental team which includes a couple players that wanted to learn to play golf and improve their skills before playing in any actual matches or competitions. Instead of cutting them, the team is working together to encourage them to become better players.

“That’s why [I] don’t like cutting freshmen, they work hard, they want to practice, you never know what they could turn into…” said Bernier

Senior Dakotah Kreil, who has been on the golf team since her first year of high school says the season is off to a good start and hopes to “help the team get back to state… you really grow as a team at state”

The Night Hawk Invitational is a tournament PHS plays every year, however they never played this course before. There was a hole on the side of a mountain, which Kreil said she “had to use a driver to combat the strong wind.” There was also a lightning delay for an hour on both days of the tournament.

This past weekends competition has shown the team what they need to do to prepare for this season, “it’s a good measure of the teams we’ll be competing against [this year]” said Bernier, “We expect to finish in the top ten in state, that should be well within our reach.”

Next up for PHS is a match with Mountain Pointe on Sept. 6 at the Ahwatukee Country Club.

BOYS PREVIEW/UPDATE

Junior Caden Christopherson was named the team captain – an honor seldom given to an underclassman, a role that he admits is “kind of weird” since for the past three years he’s grown and golfed with his older peers.

He is ready to lead the team this year; his two closest friends are the second and third place holders and says “it’s up to [us].”

The teams are going to have to work harder than ever because of this diverse group of students.

Christopherson, who has held the number one spot since his freshman year said the boys will have a chance at state as long as “[we] have full team cooperation.” The boys are competing at Whirlwind this weekend for the Antigua Invite.