Lacking school spirit

Taylor Moorer, Staff Reporter

Give me a L-A-M-E, what’s that spell? Lame! A majority of students forget to add the spirit, in the saying school spirit.

High school is for experiencing new styles and trying new activities. The classic “Spirit Week” at school is a way to be goofy and express yourself. But, teenagers find themselves “too cool” to participate in such an event. During this week STUGO attempts to make learning exciting while playing funky music at lunch. Only about four or five students actually dance and the rest stare and watch in laughter.

Guess what?- the kids dancing and being carefree are most likely having a better time than someone staring and secretly wishing they can be as spontaneous as their peers.

Senior Lilly Branuhm stated hesitantly, “I don’t think we have enough school spirit, people don’t attend the shows because they’d rather go see a football game.”

Yes, football games bring out the spirit that was lost during school hours but that shouldn’t be the only place perry students should be proud of their school. Football is a great aspect, but it is not the only thing we should breathe for.

There are over 60 clubs on campus that a student can find a type of interest in. From chess club to debate club, the sky’s the limit. Leading the pathway for others will eventually encourage other students to also join clubs. Joining clubs can benefit a student in the long run, clubs on a college resume is the golden ticket.

“Often when students get to 11th grade and suddenly realize that their resume is blank for college it’s concerning.”, Golocalprov states.

Don’t worry, it is not too late to add the tip of the cherry to the ice cream cone.

No, we all don’t need to be peppy cheerleaders, but we need to get involved and show a little more S-P-I-R-I-T!