Morning announcements, or good morning groans?

Rylee Robbins, Staff Reporter

Selective hearing: a method used by every student in every class, almost every day. It’s just about the only thing that gets us through the daily humdrum, monotonous lectures. Unfortunately, the morning announcements are treated no different.

Students do not listen to the morning announcements. End of story. It’s not that we don’t care for our school, or that we display no school pride. They just become an early morning broadcast of nothing but bore and bromide, and it does not apply to every single individual.

Some may claim that it is an effective administration of information, while still providing entertainment and displaying school pride.

School officials throughout the country agree, “…morning announcements are a proven way to set the tone for the day and build morale and a sense of school “community.””

This may be true, for elementary school students. Smaller primary schools can implement, “happy birthday’s” and hold math-solving competitions, but students attending large high schools should not be subjected to kindergarten-level entertainment.  

The morning announcements do hold some value. Biology and investigative science teacher Brian Pomerantz shares, “I do think the purpose is to let students, teachers, and coaches celebrate the success of their students and athletes, and yes, they do achieve the purpose.” he says. “But, my students don’t usually listen. I think that they hear what they want to hear.”

Most students agree. According to sophomore Kierra Bowser, “My class just says the pledge, sits down, and talks over the announcements. They’re just too long.” she says. “But I listen to the Friday song!”

Announcements are essential to every school. Without them, we would have not the slightest clue as to what is taking place on campus. However, if it doesn’t contain information affecting each individual, ears are turned the other way. Bowser suggests, “I would listen if they turned up the volume more, or maybe played a song every day.” Putting up a bulletin could also be effective by allowing students to pick the information they want to hear.

The morning announcements are just a means of selective-hearing, which is nearly unavoidable amongst teenagers. But if the only thing being heard is the Friday song, then maybe it’s time for students and administrators alike to turn off their selective-hearing for a bit, and listen to what everyone else has to say.