Filed under News, Showcase

Eric Rygiel brings energy to campus during his first year

Mr Rygiel calls on a student in his geometry class.

Morgan Cleary

Morgan Cleary

The Perry campus is awash with faculty whose unique experiences undoubtedly contribute to the school’s identity. Since the school’s conception, many staff members have come and gone bringing their stories and spirit with them. The newest addition to the campus is math teacher Eric Rygiel, married to none other than English teacher Kimberly Rygiel.

“He is a very loyal person so it was hard for him to make the decision [to come to Perry],” said Rygiel. Rygiel previously taught at McClintock High School, moving to Perry after his marriage to Rygiel (née Oltmanns). After making the jump, Rygiel has added yet another personality to the individuality of Perry.

While Principal Dan Serrano began the process of hiring Rygiel, he reached out to the administration at McClintock, where Serrano himself served as an assistant principal, athletic director, and the principal for many years.

“I talked to a friend over there and he told me he has a lot of energy,” Serrano said. “It’s hard to find a math teacher and someone who is willing to travel but he has a very good attitude about it.”

The recommendations made on behalf of Rygiel led to Serrano’s easy hiring decision. Since then, Rygiel’s positivity has already reached numerous students.

“He’s pretty cool and makes learning a lot easier,” said sophomore Neil Reynoso, one of Rygiel’s students.

Rygiel was also active at McClintock as the the head of Link Crew, bringing his experience to Perry’s Crew as one of the club’s sponsors.

“I like Link Crew because it’s somewhere I get to be myself and really connect with students on a personal level,” Rygiel said.

“He [Rygiel] connects with us better than most teachers,” said senior Jackie Gilbert, a part of Link Crew’s Super Q.

Perry has been a good change for Rygiel, but a change nonetheless.

“I have to learn where things are and who to talk to but the only thing I’ve really struggled with is the share drive, you could get lost in there,” said Rygiel.

For Rygiel, being a Puma is yet another new experience, and one that comes with a school culture to be proud of.

“Perry is a school where the students set high expectations for themselves and everyone here strives for greatness,” said Rygiel.

Rygiel has added his own personality into the melting pot at Perry, making sure to positively impact anyone he teaches or works with.

About the Contributors
India Buckner, Staff Reporter
India Buckner is a junior and is a first year student in newspaper. She covers girls volleyball, teacher features, and is a double truck contributor. In her spare time she likes to hang out with her friends, sleep, and binge watch Netflix. In the future she hopes to be able to travel to new places and write about their beauty. Some fun facts about India is she won a watermelon eating contest in eighth grade and she’s originally from Salt Lake City, Utah.
Morgan Cleary, Staff Reporter
Morgan Cleary is a first year student to newspaper, as one of the many seniors in the class, she writes for the DECA team, concert band, theater, and students fashion. When she is not writing for the paper, she is either on the basketball court or the track field, she enjoys photography and learning about...