Students aspire to give back: Perry’s semi-annual blood drive

Emily Narducci, Staff Reporter

Twice a year, students selflessly donate blood despite possible fears of needles and blood. Perry High’s semi-annual blood drive took place on Monday, Aug. 31 in the auditorium lobby. Key Club hosts this event twice a year, in August and January.

Math teacher, Julie Chesley is one of the current Key Club sponsors, along with fellow math teacher Stephanie Carrasco. Chesley states, “[the turnout] this year was excellent. We were over 100 percent of our goal.” The students were eager to participate and help the community.

Chesley shares that, “We really help United Blood Services because when we do our blood drive, it’s always right before Labor Day and they are always really low because of the summer.”

The timing of this blood drive helps due to the numerous accidents that occur over the Labor Day holiday weekend and the vast amount of people who are left in need of blood. The United Blood Services benefits from the extra blood provided from generous students.

Students above the age of 16 enjoy participating in this event that helps them contribute to those in need.

Junior Brandon Hayes states, “I think it’s amazing how much kids can give back to the community in such simple ways here at Perry.”

The students who chose to donate are treated with wonderful care, Hayes states, “I was nervous before hand. [The person drawing my blood] reminded me that I could save so many different lives and I felt really encouraged.”

The participants received snacks after, and were allowed to rest until they felt better to return to class. Senior Ke’arah Masten explains, “my favorite part is the food afterward but, being a hero is nice too.” Masten participated in the January 2015 blood drive and claims, “I think [the blood drive] had a way better turnout this year. That’s a good thing because we can help more people now.”

Both Masten and Hayes encouraged students to participate in the next blood drive, with Hayes stating, “it was a really good experience, and I just want everyone to be able to share that experience.”