Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

Local yo-yo pro Collin Ellingson

Back to Article
Back to Article

Local yo-yo pro Collin Ellingson

Collin Ellingson performing tricks at a yo-yo competition, participating under his team of SF.

SF

SF

SF

Shouts, Cheers, and roaring applause. These are the sights and sounds of when “The yo-yo kid” won Perry Idol. One of more than 15 contestants, all working for that coveted Victory Royal. Talents ranging from comedy, magic, and singing. Things people had worked on for years, put their hearts and souls into their talents, and they were all beaten out, by Collin Ellingson, with a Yo-yo.
Now the talent that Collen Ellingson has, should not be understated, especially when he gets flown to tournaments all around the world. The “flown” part, not being an error. Collin has been recognized by one of the most coveted pro grade yo-yo teams on the market, SF. “but SF doesn’t stand for anything.” Ellingson noted.
“They help me fly to contests and I get royalties on my signature yo-yo” Ellingson remarked, “the SFyoyos Ceasefire.” Being his signature yo-yo the same one that he used for Perry Idol. The Ceasefire model of yo-yo being a bi metal design, containing an aluminum body with stainless steel weight rings, of reportedly very high quality.
The Ellingson wasn’t always sponsored by one of the most coveted teams in professional yo-yoing. He started out his yo-yo career about five years ago when he was still up in Utah, and being motivated into the art by one of the simplest of methods. “All the kids at my school were doing it and it made me want to do it.”
Collin Ellingston is a lot more than simply a yo-yo master, “I really like video games (smash and Mario kart)”. Not only video games, but Ellingson is also interested in photography and filmmaking, and fills his free time pursuing those passions through watching YouTube. But he douses state that if he isn’t watching YouTube, then yo-yoing is the go to hobby to practice, but no matter the hobby, his friend Grant Williams backs him up stating that no matter what he is “unconcerned with the haters.”
Perry Senior and friend of Ellingson, Thomas Smith, remarked on the kind of character that is held within his professional yo-yo friend “he is a funny, crazy guy who does his own thing.” Continuing on to talk about the motivation and the hard work that Ellingson has put into his hobby, and how the improvement has been Jurassic that he has seen within Ellingson over the course of their friendship.
Collin Ellingson is one of the special individuals at Perry high school. Charismatic, funny, and talented in a plethora of ways. Winning the latest talent show, even with the plethora of competition, solidifies the skills that he has been working on for so long. Also solidifying him as a Perry legend. The Yo-yo kid will continue to be an icon, of being able to do what you want, no matter how much out of the normal it is, and making what you want to do cool.
Be Sure to watch Collin Ellingson as he continues his career yoing that yo.

About the Writer
Devin Jernigan, Staff Editor

Devin Jernigan is a Senior at Perry and a first year in the Precedent. Jernigan covers Tennis, Swim/Dive, and the Arts/ Entertainment editor. Jernigan...