Four Square Club revive nostalgic game

Valerie Burgess, Assistant A&E Editor

With the stress of high school looming over students, a need for relief in the midst of essays and mounds of homework is necessary for one’s success. Many may resort to sports or music for their escape, but a new club on campus changes the game.

Four square club is a new way to allow students to revive their childhood memories while transitioning to adult life while sporting stylish florescent pink shirts.

Connor Maxwell had the unique opportunity to create a club inclusive for all on the basis of fun in the spirit of a spontaneous decision, “my friends and I enjoyed playing four square, enough that sometimes we would play until two to three in the morning. We decided that the activity was too much fun to keep it to ourselves, and we wanted to share it.”

The club was initially pitched by a group of government teacher Angela Gardner’s students. The purpose of the club was an opportunity to have students engage with other students to reminisce the childhood of students.

“Some of my fifth period students Connor Maxwell, Nick Madix, Zach Colbern, Jacob Weiss asked me if I wanted to sponsor the club,”

Gardner continues. “Write up a constitution, get ten signatures, and they wrote up a constitution saying they were growing up and they wanted to reconnect their childhood, before they did that.”

Now there are more than 45 members who play every Tuesday between the C building and the library. Students who stay after school also have a unique opportunity to collaborate together to play a game some have not played for more than five years.

Julia Gregory explains her excitement for the club “it gives a nice break from normal high school activities and from homework and doing work always. Also, [it is] really good time to get engaged with other people and new people.”

As for the future of the club, Gardner hopes the inclusion of students as well as teachers to go head to head to answer the timeless question of whether students or teachers are superior at four square.